Volunteers spent about six hours over the weekend gearing up for Chesapeake City's Winterfest of Lights.
Last week, David Pardee, the town's public works crewman, got ready for the decorating. He checked and sorted all the items to ensure that they are ready.
"We have a new Star of David. We try to add stuff every year," said Pardee. "And I wanted to make sure all faiths are represented." He was also gearing up to make an "air tree" and build a tree from crab pots. "That design is in my head," laughed Pardee.
Pardee said that members of his family, and town volunteers work together to install all the decorations. There are elves fishing, ships, a fountain, skaters, carolers, and crabs. Pardee's favorite is the royal carriage, a multi section light array.
"The residents decorate too. We are trying to get more people on the north side to decorate," he said.
The fifth annual Winterfest of Lights Chesapeake City will be held in both north and south sides of town from November 27-January 7, 2017. The official Lions Club tree lighting and concert is set for November 27 from 6-7 p.m. in Pell Gardens. All are welcome to attend.
Other holiday events in that town:
• Chesapeake City's annual Holiday Pet Parade is set for Saturday, November 19, at noon.
• On Saturday and Sunday, November 26 and 27, afternoon tea will be served at the Blue Max Inn. Santa comes to town by horse and carriage on November 27. He will arrive in time for the Christmas tree lighting at 6 p.m.
• Saturday, December 3, things will get funny on the north side. The third annual Comedy by the Canal will be held at the Chesapeake City Lock Street fire station. A buffet dinner will be served from 5:30-7 p.m. Show starts at 7 p.m. Must be 18 or older. Ticket cost is $25 per person. Reserve by calling 443-566-2598.
• The town Christmas tour is set for Saturday, December 10 from 6-9 p.m. Tickets may be obtained that day at town hall. There's a new twist to the residential and business decorating contest this year. A People's Choice award will be voted on by way of social media. Judging will be December 11.
• There will be addition holiday teas at the Blue Max Inn on December 10,11,17, and 18.
• Santa will be at Franklin Hall on Saturday and Sundays from 3-6 p.m. on the following dates: December 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18. Carolers will tour the town on December 3, 10 and 17.
• There will be carriage rides on both sides of town. On the south side, rides will be available December 3, 10, and 17 from 3-6 p.m. North side carriage rides will be held December 11 and 18 from 2-4 p.m.