Firefighters from Rising Sun, Union of Oxford, Pa., and Water Witch of Port Deposit, were initially called to the Bigfoots restaurant, 20 West Main Street, Rising Sun, at 12:08 p.m. on Sunday for a fire in an electrical panel.
The situation escalated quickly and firefighters battled that blaze from both inside and outside the shop.
Electrical wires along West Main Street began arcing and sparking. A short time later, it was reported that there was smoke in the duplex home next to Bigfoots. Residents of those two homes began evacuating caged pets. Ladder trucks were set up at both the business and the home.
The fire at Bigfoots spread to the second floor. Firefighters were ordered to evacuate the business and continued to fight the fire from outside.
At 1:30 p.m., the fire went to three alarms with additional manpower and apparatus called from Harford County, Elkton, Charlestown, and Pennsylvania. Over 100 firefighters battled the blaze, which took 90 minutes to control.
Investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. power company officials, fire police, a building inspector, and county paramedics worked at the scene.
The structure was a two-story commercial building with the business on the first floor and apartments on the second floor.
The State Fire Marshal's office said investigators determined the fire to gave originated on the outside of the structure in the area of the electrical service supply. The fire was ruled to be accidental.
The building and business, owned by Milton McAllister, sustained over $250,000 in damages. An adjacent single family dwelling sustained approximately $60,000 in damages. Six adults and three children were displaced. They are being assisted by the Red Cross.
Comments are closed.