As of 4 a.m. this morning, Wednesday March 18, there is no power at Rising Sun High School.
Firefighters were called to the school, 100 Tiger Drive, North East, for an automatic fire alarm about 2:45 a.m. According to Rising Sun Fire Chief Matt Blakeley, upon arriving at the school, firefighters heard an audible alarm. Firefighters investigated and found heavy smoke in the area of the school cafeteria and mechanical room. The fire chief stated that the main power line coming into the building malfunctioned. The fire self-extinguished but firefighters put additional dry chemicals on the fire. There currently is smoke on both floors of the building.
Chief Blakeley said there are no injuries and the school was vacant at the time of the fire. "There is some water, some smoke," said Blakeley. He also said that mechanical equipment was damaged and is being assessed at this time.
Deputy State Fire Marshal Howard Ewing is currently on scene at the school as are crews from Delmarva Power. Community Fire Company of Rising Sun was assisted by North East Fire Company and Union of Oxford, Pa. Fire Company.
Comments are closed.