by Lisa Tome
The kids at Perryville Outreach come to the Otsego Street building and stay all day.
They don't consider how much it costs to feed them.
That's why Police Department Outreach Director Jesse Lilly is glad that his kids will once again get free lunch. "The general population of Outreach seems to be low income. Most of them have food (at home) but limited options. And once they're here, they're here for the day," said Lilly. "We would be providing snacks or meals for them. This takes pressure off our budget."
The Cecil County Public Schools Food and Nutrition Department has been participating in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Summer Meals program since 2009. This year, Elkton's Central Library will also be a feeding site.
The goal is to assure that no child in Cecil goes hungry this summer.
Free meals for children and teens are being offered at various locations throughout the county this year. The free meals are for those ages 18 and under and are provided by Cecil County Public Schools in cooperation with the Maryland State Department of Education. The school system provides the staff. The food is funded by the USDA.
In the summer of 2016, 5,734 breakfasts and 10,534 lunches were served up at local sites.
The meals are offered free of charge to those ages 18 and under. Adults may bring exact change and pay $3.50 to eat at any location for lunch and a $1.50 for breakfast.
New sites this year include the library as well as Hollingsworth Manor, and Elkton Parks and Recreation both on North Street and in Meadow Park.
The following sites are serving up food this summer Monday through Friday:
• Cecil County Public Library, 301 Newark Avenue, Elkton, will serve lunch from noon until 12:30 from June 26-August 11, Monday through Friday
• Gardens at Chesapeake, 1000 Abbott Drive, Elkton, will serve breakfast 9-9:30 a.m. and lunch 11:30-noon from June 26-August 11, Monday through Friday
• Hollingsworth Manor, 200 Road B will serve lunch Monday through Thursday from July 5-August 5.
• North Bay Apartments, 11 Cedar Hill Circle, North East will serve lunch noon until 1 p.m. Monday through Friday, from June 26 through August 25.
• North East Elementary, 301 Thomas Avenue, North East will serve breakfast from 9:15-10 a.m., and lunch from 12-12:45 p.m. June 26-July 27 Monday through Thursday.
• North East Middle, 200 East Cecil Avenue, North East will serve lunch Monday through Thursday from 11:30-noon from July 17 through August 10.
• Elkton Parks and Rec., 219 North Street, Elkton, Monday through Friday - breakfast 9-9:30 a.m., lunch 12-12:30 p.m. June 26 through August 25.
• Elkton Parks and Rec at Meadow Park lunch Monday through Thursday noon to 12:30 p.m. From June 26-August 25.
• Perryville Police Department Outreach, 550 Otsego Street, Perryville, lunch Monday through Friday from noon until 1 p.m. From June 26-August 25.
• Riverwoods at North East, 1000 Riverwoods Road, North East will serve lunch noon until 1 p.m. from June 26-August 25 Monday through Friday.
• Rudy Park, 101 Rudy Park, Elkton, will serve breakfast from 8:30-9 a.m. and lunch 12:30-1 p.m. June 26-August 25
• Thomson Estates Elementary, East Thomson Drive, Elkton, will serve breakfast from 9:15 a.m. - 10 a.m. and lunch 12-12:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday from June 19 to August 10.
• Windsor Village, 303 Friendship Road, will serve breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday. Breakfast 9:30-10 a.m. and lunch 11:30 a.m. until noon. From June 26-August 25.