Roland Eaton thought he was going to the Community Fire Company of Rising Sun on Thursday afternoon, October 3, because his grandparents needed to stop by the Biggs Highway Station.
Instead, Eaton, 8, a student at Gilpin Manor Elementary School, was being honored by Chief Matt Blakeley for his quick thinking during a family camping trip in August.
Eaton and his sister, Raine, were camping with their grandparents, Pat and Ruth Muir of Rising Sun in August. The family was headed out on a fishing expedition when Roland headed back to the camper for some bottled water. Inside the camper, he saw smoke and flames. He went and alerted the adults who put out the fire with an extinguisher.
Eaton's grandparents were impressed that the youth didn't go inside the camper, instead he did what he learned during school fire prevention lessons - he alerted adults and stayed outside. The family found that a computer cord left plugged in and unattended, overheated. That sparked the blaze which damaged the carpet and wall of the camper and also burned a duffle bag containing Eaton's clothing.
The family managed to contain the fire from spreading to adjacent campers and propane tanks.
Chief Blakeley presented Eaton with a certificate commending him for his bravery and quick-thinking.
"This shows the seriousness of what we're teaching during fire prevention. The skills we're teaching are things like get out and stay out and stop drop and roll. He (Eaton) didn't go back in the camper. He got the adults," said Blakeley.
Eaton is the son of Ronda Graham and Richard Eaton.
Comments are closed.