by Lisa Tome
The dock is decked.
The Waterman's Crab Pot Tree is ready for viewing. And it's like no other tree that can be seen locally.
According to Mary Cooper, a clerk for the Town of Chesapeake City, the crab pot tree, which is located across from Pell Gardens in the southside downtown, was built by town maintenance engineer David Pardee.
The town borrowed or acquired 70 crab pots from local watermen.
The two-foot cube pots were then stacked in the shape of a tree.
For those who want a more traditional holiday season, Chesapeake City has a lot to offer.
• The ice skating rink, next to Pell Gardens, opens Saturday, November 22. Rink hours will be Fridays from 4-8 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. December 22, 23 from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. December 24 from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. December 26- January 3 11 a.m. until 8 p.m.
And the weekend schedule will be in effect from January 4-11. Cost including skate rental is $5 per person.
Children 5 and under skate free.
Other holiday events in Chesapeake City:
• Santa will be in his workshop inside historic Franklin Hall on November 29, December 6, 13, and 20 from 3-6 p.m.
• Holiday pet parade and see Santa come to town at noon on November 22.
• Holiday concert and tree lighting is set for November 30 at 6 p.m. in Pell Gardens.
• Town caroling will be held December 6 and 20 from 3-5 p.m.
• Candlelight tour will be held December 13 from 6-9 p.m. There will be an Old Fashioned Evening of Yuletide Hospitality and carriage rides. Call 443-553-0071 for more information.
• Chesapeake City's Winterfest of Lights, Christmas on the Canal is ready to light up the night and your holiday season.
"The hope is to bring people from near and far to town to share the spirit of the season and spread the good feelings inspired by holiday lights," said Natalie Gentry, a Winterfest of Lights Committee member.
For more information about any and all of these events call 410-885-5298 or online go to www.chesapeakecity.com