by Lisa Tome
Lack of electricity shut the doors of Rising Sun High School for three days last week.
But still, the band played on.
The Rising Sun High School Band turned out for the 2015 Cecil County Middle and High School Band and Orchestra Festival which was held at Elkton High School on Thursday. In doing so, they overcame some obstacles
According to band director Frank Metzger, instruments which were needed for the competition were stashed in the school in lockers and in the band room. Since students and staff were prohibited from entering the school, administrators were charged with the task of gathering the instruments. Students provided their locker combinations and the principals and assistant principals retrieved the instruments.
Metzger said that 44 of the 54 band members made it to the competition despite lack of bus transportation to the school. Metzger said that one band member was ill meaning that just nine couldn't overcome the transportation issue. "It was teamwork on their part. We have an email chain through the band. The administrators made sure they had the instruments. Under the circumstances, we did great," said Metzger.
Students returned to class at Rising Sun High on Monday, March 23 after classes were cancelled for three days in the wake of a fire and power outage at the school.
Firefighters were called to the school, 100 Tiger Drive, North East, for an automatic fire alarm about 2:45 a.m. on Wednesday, March 18. According to Rising Sun Fire Chief Matt Blakeley, upon arriving at the school, firefighters heard an audible alarm. Firefighters investigated and found heavy smoke in the area of the school cafeteria and mechanical room. The fire chief stated that the main power line coming into the building malfunctioned. The fire self-extinguished but firefighters put additional dry chemicals on the fire.
The building was vacant at the time of the fire.
Deputy State Fire Marshal Howard Ewing estimated the damage at the school to be $100,000. Community Fire Company of Rising Sun was assisted by North East Fire Company and Union of Oxford, Pa. Fire Company.